Re: What do we mean when we say "competition?"

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Nov 27 16:53:49 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
> My understanding is that there is a fairly small number of pots
> circuits (2?) that they can bring in over the B-PON, and that moreover
> ISDN BRI and hicap (eg. repeatered or HDSL DS1 service) are entirely
> incompatible.

Circuit Emulation Services (CES) have been offered by both cable and
telephone companies for serveral years.  Some cable companies use
CES to provision ISDN, T1, T3, etc circuits over their coaxial plant.
Cable companies may be doing this only for their "high-value" customers.

Telephone companies can use similar CES technology to provision circuits
over FTTx or other local loop facilities.  Some carriers have completely
converged core networks now, so your circuit services may already be
using CES.  Carriers (or their vendors) think operating a converged
network will be less expensive, and are trying to push the convergence
closer to the customer edge.

Have you noticed Comcast and other cable companies are increasing their
video rates by up to 7% starting January 1, but not the price of voice or
data services, even though they use the same coaxial cable for all three
services?