Wifi Security

  • From: Ross Hosman
  • Date: Mon Nov 21 09:42:02 2005

Title: Wifi Security

So my question is pretty simple. You have all these major companies such as google/earthlink/sprint/etc. building wifi networks. Lets say I want to collect peoples information so I setup an AP with the same ssid as googles ap so people connect to it and I log all of their traffic. Most people wont check beyond the ssid to look at the mac address but even that could be spoofed. Is there anyway to verify a certain ap beyond mac/ssid, will there be in the future? How do these companies plan to mitigate this threat or are they just going to hope consumers are smart enough to figure it out?

Ross Hosman

Network/Systems Administrator
E: [email protected]

P: 618-644-2111 x 238