Re: STILL Paging Google...

  • From: Matthew Elvey
  • Date: Thu Nov 17 02:48:02 2005

Ok, the bug is still there. Received replies from helpful folks who missed various parts of my posts. I'll stop posting about this now; it is indeed a bit OT. As I said in my initial post: I'm looking for a fix, not a workaround, and again: See
http://www.google.com/webmasters/remove.html
The above page says that
Disallow: /*?
will block all standard-looking dynamic content, i.e. URLs with "?" in
them.

On 11/16/05 11:44 AM, Michael Loftis sent forth electrons to convey:
I think that maybe googlebot parses robots.txt in order, so it's seeing your USer-Agent: * line before it's more specific line and matching that.

I'm not saying googlebot is right doing that, just saying maybe that's what it's doing. Try reordering your file?
Could be, but their documentation, as I mentioned, specifically says otherwise.

Michael Dillon wrote:
[put dynamic content in cgi-bin and have robots.txt block it]
When something doesn't work, the correct operational
response is to fix it.

AGAIN, I'm just asking Google to comply with the documentation they provide!
In other words, Googlebot is broken; it doesn't do what its documentation it claims it will do.
The correct operational response is for Google to fix it. Whether they change the code or the documentation is their choice. I'd say allowing * to be special is a change worth making, despite the robustness principle. (FYI, IETF does from time to time knowingly make changes that are not backwards-compatible.)
Oh, and a ? in an URL has been a near-certain sign of dynamic content for a decade
Oh, and I'm not a MediaWiki developer...

Niels Bakker wrote:
robots.txt is about explicitly spidering your site; Google will still follow links from outside towards your website and index pages linked that way.[...]
No, the robot.txt is being violated. There aren't ~40,000 links to the site. Only around 130, according to
http://www.google.com/search?q=link%3Awiki.fastmail.fm

On 11/16/05 8:49 AM, Mike Damm sent forth electrons to convey:
Could you please give me the URL to your robots.txt?

It was implied, below. (Oh, and they removed it from my webmasterworld forum post; it was in there initially.)