Re: [Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Nov 15 21:12:13 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:31:17AM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > In message <[email protected]>
> > Sean Donelan writes:

> > >The cable industry claims 97% of the households passed in the US.  Why
> > >don't you consider it an option?
> >
> > Do they claim to pass 97% with two-way cable?
>
> The cable industry claims 91% of households passed with two-way cable.

	And zero in my area.  And you can't start a telco COOP in this
state since the iLEC has encouraged laws to make that not legal.  The
two major iLECs in this state  (Verizon, SBC) are not doing their FIOS
nor their "Project Lightspeed" in the state last i knew.  So much for
fancy technology.  The only [major] providers that are doing high speed
to the home are Comcast and Charter.

	Neither the local cable franchise nor the local iLEC care to
service my area.  There is a local WISP that just started up that covers
the space where my home is.. it appears they have a single T1 so you
have to hope that nobody else wants to watch some other TV episode
at the same time.. (since everyone is jumping on the pay-per-view
or downloadable tv bandwagon in the past few weeks/months).

	- jared