Re: IAB and "private" numbering

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Tue Nov 15 18:08:53 2005

Geoff,

On Nov 13, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Geoff Huston wrote:
This particular /8 allocation is described by IANA as "007/8 Apr 95 IANA - Reserved" in http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4- address-space while a whois query to the ARIN database reveals:
$ whois 7.0.0.0
RegDate: 1997-11-24
Updated: 1998-09-26
So in this case who is telling the truth? IANA or ARIN?
Well, IANA's registry claims data from 4/95 and ARIN's registry claims data from 9/98. I know which I would think would be telling the truth.

Would we want to change whois output to include the 'pub/priv' flag?
or "conflicting data" flag?
Nah. The right answer is to synchronize the data somehow. The data could either be replicated or a referral could be provided. Not rocket science.

I think I can state authoritatively (:-)) that the IANA is aware of (at least some of) the discrepancies and has address registry data synchronization on its priority list.

Rgds,
-drc