Re: IAB and "private" numbering

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Mon Nov 14 17:15:42 2005

Sorry, I have been daydreaming :)

But waking up is a nightmare too: Getting rid of all those locally administered
addresses. Looks like it has taken me back to IPv4 for some time.

There should never have been rfc1918 in the first place nor NAT either.

Regards,
Peter

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
In message <[email protected]>, Peter Dambier writes:

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

I don't believe there is a 'rfc1918' in v6 (yet), I agree that it doesn't
seem relevant, damaging perhaps though :)

Yes, there was rfc1918 in IPv6 right from the beginning:

Site local addresses "0xF80" dont leave a site. They can be routed within
a site but they never get outside. Just like rfc1918 addresses do.

Yes, and site-local addresses have been removed from the spec, because of the many problems they cause.

Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium
Graeffstrasse 14
D-64646 Heppenheim