Re: [Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

  • From: Blaine Christian
  • Date: Mon Nov 14 13:14:27 2005

On Nov 14, 2005, at 11:31 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <Pine.GSO. [email protected]>, Sean Donela
n writes:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Blaine Christian wrote:
We are talking about an infrastructure that does not lend itself very
well to market forces. In many places FFTH and/or DSL from a single
carrier are becoming the only options. I would not count a 500ms
satellite hop as an option <grin>.
The cable industry claims 97% of the households passed in the US. Why
don't you consider it an option?

Do they claim to pass 97% with two-way cable?
The cable industry claims 91% of households passed with two-way cable.

Let's change this just a bit. How about FFTH/DSL OR Cable. The point was that it is usually two options. Oligopoly is nearly as bad as Monopoly you know <grin>.