Re: IAB and "private" numbering

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Mon Nov 14 06:45:40 2005

>    what is this "the" public routing table?  where does one
>    get it?  in my 25 years of networking I have NEVER seen it.
>    i am convinced that it is a fictional as the "public" Internet.
>    or the "DFZ" ... they do not exist, except in the fevered
>    imaginations of marketing droids... and the virus is more virulent
>    than the H5N1 strain.  Note that it affects normally sane engineers
>    who KNOW better.

I think that many, many people make the assumption that a service
like RouteViews or RIS holds "the" global routing table because
they peer widely in all regions to collect the data.

>    IMHO, assigning globally unique prefixes to those who utilize IP
>    protocols, regardsless of whom else they choose to "see" via routing
>    is the right course.  every other attempt to split the assignements
>    into "us" vs. "them" has had less than satisfactory results.

I think that many people make the assumption that IP
addresses can only be used on the Internet because they
learned that IP stands for Internet Protocol.

--Michael Dillon