Re: ISP License for Korea and Japan

  • From: Tom Vest
  • Date: Sun Nov 13 01:12:11 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 9:30 PM, Dave Hughes wrote:

Hello,

My company is looking to open pops in Koera and Japan. Before I go talk to my lawyers, does anyone know what's involved in getting the proper license and just how difficult is it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

http://www.soumu.go.jp/joho_tsusin/eng/Resources/Manual/Entry-Manual/ entry2k-eng.pdf

Infrastructure based or not, international or not, most regulatory requirements on data service providers in Japan were abolished in 2003. I think there are still some perfunctory registration requirements, which means you'll probably have to hire a bengoshi for the one-time filing, but all of the old requirements (like filing interconnection notices and retaining a formally accredited "Type I Basic Telecommunications Engineer" on staff) are all history now.

Let me know if you have specific questions on Japan.

I'll defer to someone else on Korea...

Tom