Re: IAB and "private" numbering

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Sat Nov 12 11:41:44 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Tony Tauber wrote:

> The registries (including IANA as their root) should provide just
> that, a place to register the use of number resources to avoid collisions.
> I'm thinking that "private" number spaces should probably be used
> advisedly if not deprecated outright.

RIR's are taking heat (or some finger pointing atleast) for allocations
that don't appear in the public route table. There are many reasons why
the allocation might not appear in the table, I'm not convinced that
measuring the public table is any real way to measure 'in use' status for
ip space, though it's one gauge people seem to be using. If there is a
legittimate need to use some ip space NOT in a public manner, one for
which 1918 might not be appropriate, perhaps having a registration method
'in region' (with the RIR's who already have the machinations to do ip
number registrations and delegations) would make some sense?

I recall, I believe, a policy proposal 1 or 2 ARIN's ago that would have
included some form of 'private' or 'public' stamp/category on ip
registration data? Perhaps reviving that, or making a new one, would be in
order?

How do the currently allocated folks feel about sending in registration
info now? Assume no payment, or minimum payment for registration 'work'
in included? Would we be able to get all of the relevant parties to sign
up/register/keep-up-to-date ?

Example registered but not 'routed': 7.0.0.0/8

Would we want to change whois output to include the 'pub/priv' flag?

or perhaps I completely missed the mark? :)

> I could add more detail if desired for the sake of clarity.
>
> I'd like to see some acknowledgement that there are legitimate uses of
> number resources that don't include "the public Internet".

I'm curious where the 'non-legitimate' use came from? (or why the
perception is that the only legitimate use is 'public Internet', having a
nutjob internal network at work with all manner of kookiness built into
it I know of atleast 1 large network that has parts not routed or
available in the 'public internet', previous jobs give other good
examples as well.)

> ps. My goal is not to inflame, merely to discuss and educate.

<aol>me too</aol>