Re: Level3 Question

  • From: Wayne E. Bouchard
  • Date: Fri Nov 11 17:23:57 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:41:49PM +0000, Per Gregers Bilse wrote:

> On Nov 11,  1:14pm [email protected] wrote:
> > The only way to get 32-bit AS number support deployed is to run out
> > of AS numbers in
> > the 16 bit space.
>
> Exactly.
>
>   - When will the Internet deploy X?
>
>   - Just before it's too late.
>
> How many people on this list remember the transition from BGP3 to
> BGP4 and CIDR?  This was, uhh, about 12 years ago.  Before that there
> was an EGP to BGP transition, but that was less of an issue.
>
> But history will repeat itself.  Not that I see any great evil in that --
> people are always busy, have always been.  It's a case of which priorities
> are most pressing, so, indeed, yes, the only way is to run out of the
> existing resource.  Likewise for whatever will provide more address space.-)
>
>   -- Per

I think, however, that this will be less dramatic than other
things. This is a "relatively" simple software change. The one thing
it *will* do is make sure that all the old hardware out there that
runs BGP won't work anymore and have to be updated. This is arguably a
good thing. Also remember that this is still some time away. Getting
ever closer, but still a future event.

---
Wayne Bouchard
[email protected]