Re: Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Fri Nov 11 09:41:26 2005

On Nov 11, 2005, at 9:33 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

Who said "big carriers" don't join IXes?  There are plenty of
networks who have more traffic than some "teir ones" at IXes.
Hell, RANDY has a presence at least one IX.
well, one of my routers does :-) and it moves almost 50kb/sec!
:-)

i have spent <long enough i don't want to count> years trying to
get large isps to peer openly (originally pushed by asp).  the
costs of managing in the presence of bad behavior on public meshes
is often used as a reason not to peer publicly.
Touch�.

No one is claiming that Bad Stuff does not happen. However, NAPs these days are stable, scalable, and useful. Picking your peers carefully - which is a requirement for public or private peering - helps.

We are just saying that "grown-ups" _DO_ use public IXes. (Plus people like me. :) And anyone who claims that IXes are bad places to trade traffic are ... not being very grown up.

--
TTFN,
patrick