Re: Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Fri Nov 11 03:39:06 2005

[ this seems to have been in an edit buffer for a while ]

fantasies about using 1918 space without leaking.  and folk never
leaking igp<->bgp, and pigs flying, and cash falling from the sky.

> Of course I think part of the qualification for being considered
> a smart person involves being able to connect switches to IX's
> without blowing anything up

i don't give a <bleep> if they're considered smart, green, or
gardenia.  people who think they're smart and l33t probably do more
damage than those of us who are 0ld, st00pid, and 1azy.  cleverness
is how disasters are made.  testosterone poisoning is often fatal,
but it's impolite to take your neighbors with you.

in a world where over 90% of ix peers' net configs are not rigidly
automated, <bleep> is gonna happen.  and it has, time and again.
the only stuff that makes me feel at all safe is what mike hughes
of linx described, or something even stricter, but i bow to mike's
experience.

and folk wonder why the grown-ups use pnis for anything important.

randy