Re: [Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Thu Nov 10 23:22:10 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

So, there was a time when everyone said 'good grief, what would
anyone do with 1.5mbps', and where in turn engineered bitrates ended
up being several orders of magnitude lower.  In fact, we all were
worried what would happen to our POPs and backbone when 1.5mbps
consumers showed up in volume back in the '98 timeframe.

oops ;) my point wasn't that bandwidth wasn't necessary over X speed, it
was that the main motivator for consumer purchase was no long bandwidth
but price alone.

Sorry for the confusion.
It's ok. We're all cornfused.

But, seriously, if all that emerged and mattered today is 'value brand', isn't it just indicative of the fact that consumers just haven't found the next cool bw annihilating thing yet? I doubt this is part of a general trend, unless this industry has reached a mature plateau. (which would be very sad, imho).

Best regards,
Christian