RE: Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

  • From: Chris Roberts
  • Date: Wed Nov 09 19:01:19 2005

> What is the problem with this for the IXP, assuming proper
> safeguards are in place which are best practice anyway (BPDU
> filters, port security, ...)?

Hello Robert :)

> Which rule would you suggest for the IXP? The naive "connect
> only routers" wouldn't do of course in nowaday's world of
> hybrids.

I think the 'connect only routers' adage is probably a good conservative
motto to stick to. There are situations where connecting switches and
hybrids to IXPs is certainly more efficient and better suited, but only if
you know what you're doing or have a good reason for it. As I understand it,
most IXPs are pretty well protected against guff coming from switches these
days anyway, but it still doesn't make sense in my mind to have a free for
all on what people can connect. At least this adage might make someone who
might not be experienced in what they're doing think twice and ask someone
who knows better before doing it (as indeed it seems to have done in this
case).

> Robert

Cheers,
Chris.