Re: Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Nov 09 16:49:11 2005

On 9-Nov-2005, at 16:35, Randy Bush wrote:

IX---SwitchA---SwitchB---Router
ok, i gotta ask.  you folk really do this on exchanges?
I seem to think I've seen people doing this at most exchanges ISC has installed an F-root node at. The motivation is usually the avoidance of either expense ports on exchange switches, or the avoidance of expensive ports on routers (trunking the IX in as a vlan to a router on an existing port).

I'm not saying that the practice is good, or recommended, or without peril. But it's certainly not isolated to the UK.

Joe