Re: classful routes redux

  • From: Paul Jakma
  • Date: Thu Nov 03 01:50:30 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, [email protected] wrote:

er.. would this be a poor characterization of the IPv6 addressing architecture which is encouraged by the IETF and the various RIR members?

class A == /32
class B == /48
class C == /56
hostroute == /64
It's quite arbitrary though, unlike the old classful IPv4 divisions - a matter of policy, not technology. The allocation sizes can and do vary over both time (as policy changes, IIRC RIPE used to assign /35s iirc, now it's /32) and between different RIRs.

A hostroute is /128 btw. ;)

regards,
--
Paul Jakma [email protected] [email protected] Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: