Re: cogent+ Level(3) are ok now

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Tue Nov 01 15:00:44 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Brandon Ross wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, John Payne wrote:

What am I missing?
That it's a pure power play.
market position is important
If by market position you are referring to who needs/wants/can do without the traffic more, yes.

Peering is only distantly associated with costs or responsibilities.
no, peering is entirely associated with costs or responsibilities.. what other reason is there to peer ?
I was probably being a bit too dramatic with that statement. What I'm trying to get across is that it doesn't matter who is "supposed to" pay for "their customers'" traffic. It doesn't matter that I have a million dialup users, if I can use my market position to get someone else to peer with me "for free" that's all that matters. The fact that those 1 million customers pay me is irrelevant.

It has to do with what company has the intestinal fortitude to draw a line in
the sand and stick with it no matter how many customers cancel their service.
have to weigh up the gains and losses to see if that is a good or bad thing tho.
Of course.

Those with a critical mass of traffic and the right amount of guts win.
markets are always stacked in favour of the larger players in that way.. saying 'hey i'm a little guy, give me chance' generally goes unheard
Quite true.

Everyone else loses the peering game.
not peering isnt necessarily losing, there are networks who would peer with me
if i turned up in asia or the west coast, but my cost to get there is greater
than sticking to transit.
You don't have to tell me that, I work for Internap, we've made a business out of not peering, and doing quite well at it.

I said "loses the peering game". I didn't say they lost the game in entirety. Similarly, just because a company "wins" the peering game (fully peered with all other default free networks) doesn't mean it wins the business game. Just take a look at a former employer of mine, 4006 was default free, but that doesn't mean that we made any money.

to get a new peer, both sides need to feel they are gaining value
Or one side needs to be more scared of the other side cutting them off.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss
Director, Network Engineering                             ICQ:  2269442