Re: cogent+ Level(3) are ok now

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Nov 01 14:01:00 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Brandon Ross wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, John Payne wrote:
>
> > What am I missing?
>
> That it's a pure power play.

market position is important

> Peering is only distantly associated with costs or responsibilities.

no, peering is entirely associated with costs or responsibilities.. what other
reason is there to peer ?

> It has to do with what company has the intestinal fortitude to draw a line in
> the sand and stick with it no matter how many customers cancel their service.

have to weigh up the gains and losses to see if that is a good or bad thing tho.

> Those with a critical mass of traffic and the right amount of guts win.

markets are always stacked in favour of the larger players in that way.. saying
'hey i'm a little guy, give me chance' generally goes unheard

> Everyone else loses the peering game.

not peering isnt necessarily losing, there are networks who would peer with me
if i turned up in asia or the west coast, but my cost to get there is greater
than sticking to transit.

to get a new peer, both sides need to feel they are gaining value

Steve