Re: Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Oct 26 12:13:55 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:53:50 PDT, Alexei Roudnev said:

> Anyway, as I said - it is only small, minor engineering question - how to
> forward having 2,000,000 routes. If internet will require such router - it
> will be crearted easily. Today we eed 160,000 routes - and it works (line
> cards,m software, etc - it DO WORK).

Forwarding packets is only half the story.  Building a routing table is
the other half.

Route flaps.  Even if you have an algorithm that's O(n), 2M routes will take
12.5 times as long to crunch as 160K.  If your routing protocol is O(n**2) on
number of routes, that's about 150 times as much.

Such a router is probably buildable.  I'm not at all convinced that it's "easy"
to do so at a price point acceptable for most sites that currently have full
routing tables.