Re: Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

  • From: Rubens Kuhl Jr.
  • Date: Wed Oct 26 00:22:56 2005

Assume you have determined that a percentage (20%, 80%, whatever) of
the routing table is really used for a fixed time period. If you
design a forwarding system that can do some packets per second for
those most used routes, all you need to DDoS it is a zombie network
that would send packets to all other destinations... rate-limiting and
dampening would probably come into place, and a new arms race would
start, killing operator's abilities to fast renumber sites or entire
networks and new troubleshooting issues for network operators.

Isn't just simpler to forward at line-rate ? IP look ups are fast
nowadays, due to algorithmic and architecture improvements... even
packet classification (which is n-tuple version of the IP look up
problem) is not that hard anymore. Algorithms can be updated on
software-based routers, and performance gains far exceed Moore's Law
and projected prefix growth rates... and routers that cannot cope with
that can always be changed to handle IGP-only routes and default
gateway to a router that can keep up with full routing.
(actually, hardware-based routers based on limited size CAMs are more
vulnerable to obsolescence by routing table growth than software ones)

Let's celebrate the death of "ip route-cache", not hellraise this fragility.

Rubens