Re: design of a real routing v. endpoint id seperation

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Mon Oct 24 14:34:33 2005

On 24-Oct-2005, at 11:21, [email protected] wrote:

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:53:12 CDT, John Dupuy said:

In fact, this is technically feasible right now with IPv4. Does anyone know
of a pair of ISPs doing this?
"technically feasible" and "business case reasonable" are two different things.

Under what conditions does this sort of cooperation with a competitor make sense?
As a customer, I would prefer to multi-home between ISPs who rarely talk to each other rather than those who are in collusion. From a technical perspective I want the operator-induced failures in each ISP to be as independent as possible; from the business perspective I want them both to fight for my money.

Joe