Re: multi homing pressure

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Oct 20 00:34:20 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Owen DeLong wrote:

Yes and no.  Most people that will spend the $$ for routers with enough
memory to handle multiple full feeds are also looking to get a certain
amount of TE capability out of the deal, and, at that point, babysitting
the TE becomes more than 0.01 FTE (closer to 0.30 in my experience).
Some may. The one I'm talking about with the Imagestreams really doesn't. They've overprovisioned the heck out of their network after the C&W/PSI thing and really have no need for TE. In fact, no attempt at all has been made to influence their traffic. Just a simple let BGP take care of it config.

That's an interesting way to look at it.  I think that at the time those
routers were designed (I'm assuming you are talking AGS+ here), there
I wasn't thinking that far back. I'm talking about the 3640 and 2610/2611/2620/2621s. For many end users, these routers would be just fine for multihoming with a few T1s, if they had the RAM capacity for several full views. At the time the above customer was multihoming, their only real options with cisco were the 3660 and 7200 series, which were overkill (and overpriced if you want new gear from say Tech Data).

cisco finally has come out with replacements for those "little routers" with much bigger RAM capacities...but they're a little late.

That could be true, but, how long do you really think the RAM will last?
I suppose it won't. I just checked up on them. Seems they must have canceled their other provider (I hope so anyway...its been down at least a week), and with just 1 full view from us, they have 2.3mb free. I guess its time to get them on the phone and see about either shutting off BGP or just sending them 0/0. Another 3640 bites the dust.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________