Re: multi homing pressure

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Wed Oct 19 22:03:34 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:19:28PM +0000, Paul Vixie scribed:

> [email protected] (Jared Mauch) writes:
>
> > 	it will be interesting to see if this has acutal impact on
> > ASN allocation rates globally.
>
> i don't think so.  multihoming without bgp isn't as hard as qualifying for
> PI space.  i think we'll finally see enterprise-sized multihoming NAT/proxy
> products.

If you can run Squid, you can multihome your web connections today.
It's a little bit awkward to configure, but then again, so is
Squid.  People are welcome to poke at, fold, spindle, or mutilate:

http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/ron/ronweb/#code

(Part of my thesis work, Monet is a modification to Squid that causes
it to try to open N TCP connections to a Web server that it wants
to talk to.  It uses the first SYN ACK to return, and closes the
other connections to be a nice neighbor.  It's shockingly effective
at improving availability to Web sites that are themselves multihomed
or otherwise good.  Warning:  Often still leads to annoyance if you find
yourself able to browse the web but not do anything else.  We do have
a NAT version of this that works with arbitrary protocols.  If people
are interested, I'll try to convince my former student to dig up the
code and make it a bit prettier.)

  -Dave