Re: multi homing pressure

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Wed Oct 19 15:39:24 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, John Payne wrote:

> Hrm, people keep saying that BGP is hard and takes time.
>
> As well as my end-user-facing network responsibilities, I also have corporate
> network responsibilities here.  All of our corporate hub locations are
> multi-homed (or soon will be)... and I honestly can't remember the last time I
> made any changes

It's not changes that make BGP maintenance consume time; rather, it's
tracking down connectivity issues when problems do arise.

If the upstream is responsible for multihoming instead, they also are
responsible for keeping the knowledge resources to do that problem-hunt.
It's another side effect of the choice to outsource the multihoming
responsibility, and is one of the factors to consider when choosing a
redundancy approach.

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>