Re: multi homing pressure

  • From: Elmar K. Bins
  • Date: Wed Oct 19 12:36:07 2005

[email protected] (Patrick W. Gilmore) wrote:

> The problems with a small provider might include:
>
>   * Business viability
>   * Global reach
>   * Capacity
>   * Redundant architecture
>   * Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks - understood ;-)

I see, btw, a lot of Tier-3 (or -4, -5) providers that have easily
survived their Tier-2 Transits going down the river.

If customers can be convinced that the tier thing has nothing to
do with business viability and/or stability, and that size does
not always matter, we might get them on the right track.

As long as they believe the marketing-speak, that Tier-1 ISPs
are god (no double-o here) and Tier-2's are still quite good,
but everything else is crap for "real" business, well...

Always remember: For every customer, their stuff _is_ mission
critical. So everyone will take the multihoming road if they
can afford it.

We can make it more expensive, or we can offer other solutions.

Yours,
	Elmar (formerly with a Tier-17, quite stable though)

--

"Begehe nur nicht den Fehler, Meinung durch Sachverstand zu substituieren."
                          (PLemken, <[email protected]>)