RE: Verizon outage in Southern California?

  • From: Olsen, Jason
  • Date: Tue Oct 18 16:43:00 2005

Our ATM WAN link through Sprint came back up around 1345 Central time,
and the two DS1s for the school's Internet service were revived about
fifteen minutes ago (1507 CDT).  They've been rock-solid so something
must be going right out there.

When I called Sprint about any information they might have for the
outage the tech said that the area was down due to a Verizon DACS
failure.  That must have been a spectacular failure, because I'm reading
that it wiped out most everything (
http://www2.presstelegram.com/news/ci_3128087  indicates four tandems
hit?! ) in the area.  The articles are primarily focusing on the impact
to E911 services, followed with the hit to POTS lines.  I have yet to
see any mention of impact to data in any of 'em.  Here's what intrigues
me about this outage: if it wiped out E911, most of the POTS and also
impacted data services (as Jay Hannigan and I can attest), how did the
cell towers that are also served by the network live through it?

Jason "Feren" Olsen      Senior Network Engineer     DeVry, Inc
Em: [email protected]     Ph: 630-645-1607            One Tower Lane
INOC-DBA: 19258*526      Fx: 630-389-2929            Oakbrook Terrace,
IL 60181