Re: And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: Fred Baker
  • Date: Tue Oct 18 16:35:07 2005
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; l=4456; t=1129668068; x=1130100268;c=nowsp; s=nebraska; h=Subject:From:Date:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;d=cisco.com; [email protected]; z=Subject:Re=3A=20And=20Now=20for=20Something=20Completely=20Different=20(was=20Re=3A=20IPv6=20news)|From:Fred=20Baker=20<[email protected]>|Date:Tue,=2018=20Oct=202005=2012=3A44=3A57=20-0700|Content-Type:text/plain=3B=20charset=3DUS-ASCII=3B=20delsp=3Dyes=3B=20format=3Dflowed|Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit;b=fr1nLyw2pp8I9lE57Sttem4A6ubOjIaoTgUhKv6uQ3ZO7UMTcbB2XPqgJ7nV8JLEz9CQThVZsd4hj6tonBRXHpZr6SxYCl5ENleOEHB5mnn7OH9wBEAFrXaaW9WiY82uCrg+m0ql5QYm5DGpv5X9H6XvFskpEJlwJUsmMvz3KTE=

the principal issue I see with your proposal is that it is DUAL homing vs MULTI homing. To make it viable, I think you have to say something like "two or more ISPs must participate in a multilateral peering arrangement that shares the address pool among them". The location of the actual peering is immaterial - doing one for Santa Barbara County in California might actually mean peering at One Wilshire Way in LA, for example. However, the peering arrangement would have to be open to the ISPs that serve the community; otherwise, it would be exposed to anti-trust litigation (if Cox and Verizon, the Cable Modem and DSL providers in Santa Barbara, did this, but it was not open to smaller ISPs in the community, the latter might complain that it had the effect of locking out competition).

But yes, communities of a rational size and density could get an address block, the relevant ISPs could all advertise it into the backbone, and the ISPs could determine among themselves how to deliver traffic to the homes, which I should expect would mean that they would deliver directly if they could and otherwise hand off to another ISP, and that handoff would require an appropriate routing exchange. Can you say "lots of long prefixes within a limited domain"? They would want to configure the home's address block on its interior interface and route to it through their own networks. Note that NAT breaks this... this requires end to end connectivity. I should expect that they would not literally expect the homes to run BGP (heaven forfend); I could imagine the "last mile" being the last bastion of RIP - the home sends a IP update upstream for its interior address, and the ISP sends a default route plus routes to its own data centers down.

The biggest issue here might be the effect on cost models in routing. Today, hot potato routing makes a some relationships relatively cheap while other relationships are more expensive; this reverses those. Today, if a datagram is handed to me that will be delivered in your network, I hand it to you at my earliest opportunity and you deliver it. In this model, I can't tell who will deliver it until I get relatively close to the community. Hence, I will carry the packet to that exchange point, and only then hand it to you. Funny. I described this in an internet draft nearly a decade ago, and got dumped on because of this issue - something about living in an ivory tower and playing with people's livelihoods, as I recall. I'll see if I can resurrect that, if you like.