Re: Verizon outage in Southern California?

  • From: Matthew Black
  • Date: Tue Oct 18 16:14:14 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:59:37 -0700
 Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote:
Olsen, Jason wrote:

Anyone have more information? It seems to have started around 02:30 local time this morning.
We lost connectivity (WAN/Internet/POTS) to our Long Beach site at
around 2:27 AM PDT today.  Several news agencies are reporting it on the
web (hooray news.google.com), citing "mechanical glitches" or bad
weather.
Bad weather could definitely be a factor.

Southern Cali electric utilities are notoriously unreliable during bad weather, especially up in my neck of the woods. It's been raining pretty steadily here for the past two days; I drove 150 miles from Apple Valley to northeast San Diego this morning and it was even raining down here in SD -- may still be raining now, I just haven't looked outside. I even heard a radio report that a funnel cloud touched down in the foothills outside Los Angeles; I forget exactly where. (That doesn't happen very often around here.)
While weather in Southern California may affect your electricity,
it has only a minor effect in the Long Beach area. Monday evening's
storm was fairly mild with winds under 10 MPH and less than a half
an inch of rain overnight. Not what I would consider a heavy storm.

Rains do cause telco data problems. When I had dial-up, my maximum
rate dropeed from about 45K to 37Kbps during and for a day or two
following rain.

Telephone service is beginning to be restored in the Long Beach
area but is still sporadic.

Around 2:20 or 2:30 a.m., I was awoken by my clock radio with
three or more sets of soft buzzing noises--as though a radio
station went silent. I checked my cordless phone and had
dialtone, then went back to sleep. Is there any correlation?

matthew black
e-mail postmaster
california state university, long beach