geo-based routing [Re: IPv6 news]

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Tue Oct 18 02:35:01 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 [email protected] wrote:
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt
will be quite of your liking.
Not at all. This proposal is all about allocating addresses
based on country boundaries and I reject this model. The
Internet is a network of cities, not countries.  The national
boundaries are completely random in technical terms, but
the cities are not random. The cities are where the people
are, where the railways and roads are, where the channels
of trade and communication begin and end.
Uhh, I'd say the internet is a network of networks, not a network of cities. :)

But you bring a good point about railways. But are there enough privately-owned railways to make a good analogue? (This certainly doesn't apply to roads) I.e., when a dozen different railway companies want to provide transport, do each and every one of them build (parallel) tracks, stations, and trains on each city? I do not think so, but I do not know if any sort of "roaming" agreements exist.

Or are you arguing that the basic infra (like the fibers) should be city/government/etc. controlled so it could be used in more cost-effective ways by all providers?

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."