Re: And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: Fred Baker
  • Date: Mon Oct 17 17:44:24 2005
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; l=1476; t=1129586029; x=1130018229;c=nowsp; s=nebraska; h=Subject:From:Date:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;d=cisco.com; [email protected]; z=Subject:Re=3A=20And=20Now=20for=20Something=20Completely=20Different=20(was=20Re=3A=20IPv6=20news)|From:Fred=20Baker=20<[email protected]>|Date:Mon,=2017=20Oct=202005=2014=3A43=3A16=20-0700|Content-Type:text/plain=3B=20charset=3DUS-ASCII=3B=20delsp=3Dyes=3B=20format=3Dflowed|Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit;b=pkisEHvWbbsdrEWc7IzOxIgLrEW7Kz3XXHI/at5Zmx0B8oBjtsteM8aWm65KeybptQVDGxiWO9Lwjdpk3PQwvvtaSi3uSSwxW8HNPe7JPfVYyQiXY0W0cRt9wp1ooncLd84UKT3H4Q5/YRbRa2vzLhvNE+y/iJNXlGe04YgL97o=

we agree that at least initially every prefix allocated should belong to a different AS (eg, no AS gets more than one); the fly in that is whether there is an ISP somewhere that is so truly large that it needs two super-sized blocks. I don't know if such exists, but one hopes it is very much the exception.

The question is "does every AS get a prefix". Under current rules, most AS's assigned to edge networks to support multihoming will not get a prefix. I personally think that's probably the wrong answer (eg, you and I seem to agree on PI space for networks that would warrant an AS number does to size, connectivity, and use of BGP to manage their borders), but it is the current answer.