Re: IPv6 daydreams

  • From: Kevin Loch
  • Date: Mon Oct 17 05:39:44 2005

Mark Smith wrote:
We didn't
get 48 bits because we needed them (although convenience is a need, if
it wasn't we'd still be hand winding our car engines to start them ). We
got them because it made doing other things much easier, such as (near)
guarantees of world wide unique NIC addresses, allowing "plug-and-play",
at least a decade before the term was invented.
This is not a scientific opinion but I think you can pick a random host
id from 32 bit space on most lans without having to retry very often.

- Kevin