Re: And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Oct 17 00:37:41 2005

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Think in the future, do we really want routers that'll handle millions of
> prefixes and hundreds of thousands of AS numbers, just because people want
> resiliance? If this can be solved on the end-user layer instead, it's more

you are getting these anyway, thank network convergence for that... or
curse it, your call. things like 2547 'vpn' and the like are driving
prefix numbers up regardless of what the Internet is doing. Hardware will
be required to handle million(s) of prefixes sooner than large scale v6
deployment IMHO.

Note, just cause it's there (or will be) doesn't mean I'm advocating that
solution for v6, I just had questions (and thought others might as well)
about shim6 or the direction of 'site multihoming' in v6... (not even
specificly shim6)