Re: IPv6 news

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sun Oct 16 11:09:24 2005

On 16-Oct-2005, at 10:27, John Reilly wrote:

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 22:02 -0700, David Conrad wrote:

I _really_ wish people would stop saying '"unlimited"' or 'almost
infinite' when talking about IPv6 address space.  It simply isn't
true, even in the theoretical sense, and particularly given how
address space is being allocated now.  It also gives many people the
wrong impression: that IPv6 addresses will mean every grain of sand
in the Universe (or whatever) can have portable address space.
Am I mistaken in thinking that if shim6 (or something like it) did
exist, that portable address space could be allocated to everyone (maybe
with a different allocation policy?) to be used as (shim6) identifiers.
Yes, you're mistaken. The locator identifier is chosen from the host's pool of upper-layer identifiers.

Many people speculating and asking questions in this thread would do very well to take a quick read through this high-level description:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-shim6-arch-00.txt

Note also (as Susan mentioned) the IAB is facilitating a BOF on IPv6 multi-homing in Los Angeles, for those who are planning to attend.

Joe