Re: Level 3's side of the story

  • From: Simon Leinen
  • Date: Sun Oct 16 10:07:26 2005

Kevin Loch writes:
> Does anyone have reachability data for c-root during this episode?

The RIPE NCC "DNSMON" service has some:

http://dnsmon.ripe.net/dns-servmon/server/plot?server=c.root-servers.net&type=drops&tstart=1128246543&tstop=1128972253

According to BGPlay for that particular prefix from Route-Views data
(for some reason the RIPE RIS server used by BGPlay seems to be down
at the moment), the "episode" seems to be between these times (UTC):

 2005-10-05 09:49:03   Route Withdrawal ( 3356 174 2149 )
 2005-10-07 19:24:13   Route Announcement   3356 174 2149

The interval in the URL above starts 72 hours before the start of the
episode and ends 72 hours after its end.  I cannot see any particular
problems that would coincide with the episode, from that set of probes
(RIPE TTM).

Because we rely on default routes to our three transit providers, and
Level(3) is one of them, some of our customers must have had
connectivity issues to Cogent for a few hours, until we noticed
(thanks to Adam Rothschild and NANOG) and implemented a workaround.
But our RIPE TTM boxes (tt85 as well as the currently broken tt86)
aren't in those parts of our network.

> I wonder if they made separate arrangements for that or are planning
> to make arrangements for phase 2.

As someone else said, partial unreachability of a particular root
nameserver isn't that much of an issue.  But it's an interesting
question nevertheless.
--
Simon.