RE: SONET MUX

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Sat Oct 15 18:05:30 2005

> Hello,
>
> We are looking for a OC3 -> 3xDS3 MUX.  (If it can grow up to
> a OC12 ->
> 12xDS3 thats a plus)
> Sonet side will be 1+1 protected
>
> I have looked at the following equipment is there any other
> sonet muxes that
> i should look at?
>
> Adtran Opti-3
> Adtran OPTI-6100
> Cisco ONS 15310, 15327
> Fujitsu Flashwave 4010, 4100, 4300
> Fujitsu FLM 150

The difference between Fuji and Cisco is the backplane
architecture. The former is redundant and is
a five nines solution. The latter is not and is a four
nines solution. You will find the cisco device cheaper
to buy and operate. The cisco is also less RU and less
power.

If you haven't already lighted your own dark fiber
network, there's a lot to know at layer 1 to be sure
you get the redundancy you're looking for in layer 3.
Have you considered leasing circuits from a LEC or
buying a wavelength managed service?

-M<