Re: IPv6 news

  • From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
  • Date: Sat Oct 15 05:11:03 2005

I don't think users need to be charged any extra for IPv6 if it runs in the
same pipe as their actual IPv4 one.

Do we charge to our customers when we solve a bug or problem in our network
?

IPv6 was invented to solve a "bug" in IPv4: The lack of enough addresses.

Of course, now IPv6 could bring extra features, and we should take the
opportunity to make new business based on that. The existence of an
"unlimited" addressing space for every customer itself will allow to create
new services and apps (unfortunately still to come, and that's the main
issue), which we will be able to charge for.

Also that will generate extra bandwidth demand, which we will also charge
for.

Of course, at the end is a competition problem. If some carriers/ISPs don't
charge for IPv6 service, may be others will need to same if they want to
stay in the market.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Mike Leber <[email protected]>
> Responder a: <[email protected]>
> Fecha: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:54:19 -0700 (PDT)
> Para: Stephen Sprunk <[email protected]>
> CC: North American Noise and Off-topic Gripes <[email protected]>
> Asunto: Re: IPv6 news
>

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> It is understandable that you charge extra for a v6-enabled port due to your
>> need to fund upgraded hardware.  However, that doesn't explain why you don't
>> deliver v4 and v6 both over the same higher-priced port.
>
> We would be happy to do this for anybody that wants to pay for it.
>
> The earlier poster implied he didn't want to pay anything extra for IPv6.
>
> Mike.

> | Mike Leber           Direct Internet Connections   Voice 510 580 4100 |
> | Hurricane Electric     Web Hosting  Colocation       Fax 510 580 4151 |
> | [email protected]                                       http://www.he.net |

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Information available at: