Re: shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Sat Oct 15 02:05:55 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
[email protected] (David Conrad) writes:
(shouldn't that be [email protected] now?)
Not quite yet... :-)

if all you've got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
I guess the question was what is the problem IPng was supposed to solve?

had ietf killed AAAA back when there were
effectively zero ipv6 hosts on the 'net, and paid the apparently- high A6
complexity penalty, we'd be talking about something else by now.
Yeah, like why didn't the Internet work anymore. A6 was simply a broken idea. It might have limped along in a vastly simplified form, but it would have changed how the DNS works in some really fundamental ways and I doubt those ways would ever have been acceptable.

as it
is, the shim6 complexity penalty is even higher, and i don't think we'll
ever get to stop talking about this problem.
It is unfortunate that simplicity, both in terms of operations as well as protocol definition, appears to be secondary to meeting everybody's pet requirements. But perhaps that is only appearance.

Rgds,
-drc