Deploying 6to4 outbound routes at the border (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Fri Oct 14 18:09:28 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> RFC 3068 also has another problem -- not enough relays, or at least not enough
> in logical locations.  From my home in Texas, a traceroute shows the
> topologically "closest" instance of 192.88.99.1 to be in France.

Well, anycast isn't necessarily the best way to do it.  And when I lasyt
checked routeviews, there weren't all that many orgs advertising the anycast
special route.  Yes, more should, but... <sigh>

That said, even such a distant gateway would be fine for v6 *eyeballs* if
organizations would voluntarily set up 6to4 outbound relays for their own v6
networks.  It's as simple as setting up a route to 2002::/16 at the border
with a 6to4 conversion.  Only the border router itself needs to know about
it; the v6 source address in the payload can continue to be native.  (This
still passes the security checks noted by RFC-I-can't-remember-right-now.)

The great kick about this is that 6to4 eyeballs will mostly have content
going *to* them, so the 6to4 relay at the organization's border will get the
packets to their destination in the most efficient fashion:  traveling v4
from the border to the user.  This assumption is based on the typical 6to4
situation, because using 6to4 normally implies that the v4 path is the more
efficient one.  So, while mostly ACKs are going the slow route from the
user, the big chunks of data are coming back to the user via the fast route.

Example:  home.duh.org is 2001:470:1f00:342::2, but if you connect to it via
6to4, the return packets will come back tunneled 6to4 directly by my border.
This is doubly good for me, because my "natively addressed" v6 is tunneled
anyway, so using my v6 upstream for 6to4 return traffic would mean twice the
yummy tunnel slowness.  Instead, my return traffic for 6to4 clients uses
*zero* third party v6 tunnels.

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>