Re: IPv6 news

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Fri Oct 14 17:41:51 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 [email protected] wrote:
> > There are a few interesting questions here (partially rhetorical):
>
> And also:
>
> Should your company be preparing to operate v6 services
> at all? Popular opinion is that when the automobile was
> invented, all buggy manufacturers shut down. This is
> not true. http://www.liveryone.net/

(as much as I hate to respond to an analogy)

Yeah, with cars (the new thing) costing alot more than horses.

If the same was true was true for IPv6 you would see a goldrush to provide
it today.  When cars were new everybody and his brother rushed to try to
make cars, there were all kinds of small car companies.  The money that
was to be made in cars was perceived to be greater than in horses.

> IPv6 is one of those things that will be a market
> differentiator. Some people will have no need to transition
> and there will be a market for providing v4 services
> to these people. I expect that the market for v4-v6
> gateway services will last for a long time.
>
> The smaller companies on this list are not faced with
> the same kind of technology imperatives as the larger ones.

Hurricane already has IPv6 in place in multiple cities and makes enough
money for upgrades as needed.

If the people that want to speed up IPv6 adoption would help create the
expectation in the market that you will have to pay for IPv6 as its own
thing then the adoption will be driven much faster.

Right now the evangelists of IPv6 are like "suck it up man".  We're
providing the service, however you've set the expectation in the market
that the value of IPv6 in addition to IPv4 is zero.

If IPv6 was perceived to have any premimum value (non zero) over IPv4, it
would fix most all the network build comments that you keep slapping down.

Mike.

| Mike Leber           Direct Internet Connections   Voice 510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric     Web Hosting  Colocation       Fax 510 580 4151 |
| [email protected]                                       http://www.he.net |