Re: IPv6 news

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Oct 14 15:03:01 2005

Thus spake "Sean Figgins" <[email protected]>
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
And in 6-12 months the new Vista will start replacing XP,
Will start replacing XP on new consumer-grade computers.
Corporations will take another 2-4 years to switch, and other
people might have upgraded to windows 98 from 3.11 by then.
The companies I've worked for are usually only 6-12 months behind the latest Windows release. I'll agree that 24 motnhs was probably accurate for those moving off NT 4.0 and 95, but starting with 2k things seem to have been happening much faster since MS has been doing much better with backwards compatibility on drivers and APIs.

Vista will have one big stumbling block for many -- 64bit drivers. I'm betting most corps that upgrade will initially go with the 32bit version even on 64-bit-capable PCs to keep things consistent and get the best support for legacy drivers. Or, perhaps by the time Vista comes out the vendors will have caved into the furious screams from XP64's early adopters...

I think that we need to buy as much time as possible for IP, as V6
is going to be extremely painful for the consumer, and thus the
consumer is not going to want to adopt it.

Our jobs, as network designers and operators will be make it
seemless to the consumer without forcing them to shell out a
thousand or more dollars on new Windows software, and the
hardware that will be required to run it on.  If that is devising some
sort of NAT for the large percentage of customers that don't care,
then that may be the direction we need to take.
XP already comes with v6; all you have to do is Start->Run->"ipv6 install". Vista will just change things from "default off" to "default on". IT departments can handle the logistics of this once their network is v6-capable. The real stumbling blocks, IMHO, are:

1. In-house custom apps that don't have v6 support
2. Network hardware that needs to be replaced to handle v6
3. Stable IOS versions that support v6
4. Ops staff training on how to work with v6
5. People who rely on typing (or hard-coding) IP addresses instead of using DNS.

Consumers have entirely different problems, which I'll address (no pun intended) in another subthread.

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov