Re: IPv6 news

  • From: Sabri Berisha
  • Date: Fri Oct 14 10:43:19 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:17:51AM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Dear Marshall,

> > Just wait for a popular adult-content-provider offering website-access
> > for free via IPv6..
>
> Why ? Are you implying that there is unlimited free IPv6 bandwidth ?

Nope.

> If not, why would they do that ?

Imagine the following scenario:

 "It's 2009, the world reaches the end of it's ipv4 supply. As large
  global networks are still struggling to implement ipv6 on their
  equipment, their customers are facing more and more problems to get
  additional IP-space from their RIR's and are forced to use ipv6. But
  due to the lack of planning, only a number of access-isp's have
  successfully deployed ipv6 on their networks and so we have shattered
  native ipv6 connectivity throughout the internet. To encourage the
  access- and carrierindustry, (adult)contentproviders in all continents
  decide to boost the demand for ipv6 connectivity and offer their
  services for free to ipv6 users, for a limited period of time."

Why did the internet grow so fast in the 90's? The public was able to
access the network and created the demand for more content. This content
attracted more and more eyeballs, and thus more commercial activities
were deployed, resulting in a exponential growth of the network.

Without eyeballs, contentproviders are not encouraged to deploy ipv6.
Without content, eyeballproviders are not encouraged to deploy ipv6.
It's a matter of time before one of them will be forced to end this
circle and there is only one way to attract a large audience: giving a
way your service for (nearly) free.

--
Sabri

please do not throw salami pizza away