Re: Operational impact of depeering

  • From: Robert E.Seastrom
  • Date: Mon Oct 10 12:19:59 2005

"Hannigan, Martin" <[email protected]> writes:

>> > On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Peter R. wrote:
>> >
>> > On 10/1/05, Cogent's network (AS174 -- a very old network)
>> > originated the equivalent of  1x /8 + 1x /9 -- that's 1.67% of the
>> > "ends" that constitute the global end-to-end network that we call
>> > the Internet. Same day/time, Level3's network (AS3356) originated
>> > the equivalent 2x /8 + 1x /9 -- or total Internet production 3.05%
>> > at that point in time.
>
> AS 174 was old when it was PSI. It's now Cogents ASN via acquisition.
> You fairly imply that Cogent is as old as PSI in garnering sympathy for
> them being old school. Cogent is not old school.

AS174 predates PSI; it was NYSERNet's AS.

The hows and whys of PSI retaining it when they were no longer under
exclusive contract to run NYSERNet (starting in 1992) probably boiled
down to who found it more painful to re-AS their network.  I'll leave
detailed commentary to people who were actually on the inside at the
time, if any of them still read nanog.  Cole?  Mitch?  :)

                                        ---Rob