Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sun Oct 09 06:11:59 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, [email protected] wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:41:55 BST, "Stephen J. Wilcox" said:
> > my rule would be if your provider can manage an autonomous system better than
> > you and multihoming isnt a requirement of your business then let them take on
> > the management
>
> I'm willing to bet there's a lot of single-homed customers of both Cogent and
> L3 that 2 weeks ago didn't think multihoming was a requirement of their
> business either, who now are contemplating it.  Plus possibly some
> single-homed customers of other large providers as well.

Sure, but consider is it worse to have a very small number of complaining
customers who cant get to a bit of the web for 2 or 3 days, or a complete outage
to the Internet for a few hours because of a problem you cant fix.

I see the latter occurring quite frequently, in particular I see support queries
about loss of connectivity to large parts of the Internet which on inspection
was caused by dampening because the ISP was flapping.

I'm just saying, you fix one problem and create a whole bunch of new ones and it
depends on the customer as to which results in the optimum situation.

Steve