Re: Level 3's side of the story

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Sat Oct 08 16:49:36 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 09:16:25PM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> understand the inability to reach cogent was the desired result for level3, had
> a contingency been put in place level3 would have been heading in the opposite
> direction to which they are moving (they are moving to force cogent to buy
> transit, not moving to pay for their connectivity to cogent nor to keep the
> current settlement free arrangement)

Not true. The inability to reach Cogent *DIRECTLY* was the desired result
for (3). Everyone who has depeered Cogent so far seems genuinely astounded
that they are perfectly willing to gamble their customers to win a peering
dispute each and every time. I guarantee you that (3)'s desired outcome
was that Cogent do what every other ISP who buys transit does when they
get depeered, send the bits down the transit instead.

> cogent has not got a transit provider giving them level3 routes (as far as we
> understand) and they have not gone and setup any such transit arrangement whilst
> waiting for the depeering.

Just to clarify the point (though I know you know this, others don't),
Cogent does not have a transit provider CURRENTLY providing them (3)
routes. Whether this is the result of not having a contract in place,
asking Verio not to send them (3) routes, or simply rejecting the routes
themselves and tagging their announcements to Verio with a no-export to
3356 community is unknown (at least to the general public :P).

Given Cogent's position of intentional network segmentation in the two
most recent peering disputes prior to this, in which both networks WERE
reachable through the Sprint routes which Cogent *DID* have existing
arragements to but which they chose not to use, it is not reasonable to
think that the same would hold true here whether they had an existing
ability to flip a switch and route via (3) or not.