Re: Level 3's side of the story

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sat Oct 08 16:19:47 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Eric Louie wrote:

> DISCLAIMER:  From one of the clueless
i'm not picking on you as theres a huge amount of misinformation being posted on
this thread but perhaps a private email to someone with questions might be
better. having said that, perhaps this will serve to educate..

> During this entire debaucle, I never saw any mention of:
>
> 1)  Cogent sending "transit" traffic to Level3, which leads me to believe that
> all the traffic from Cogent through the peering points was actually *destined*
> for Level3 customers.  Does the routing support this idea?  Is it safe to
> assume the opposite, also... that only traffic destined for Cogent customers
> came through the Level3 peering points?  And that Level3 had one and only one
> path to Cogent (no one else providing transit for them to Cogent AS'es?)

peering is all about exchanging bgp on your customers with the peer, it excludes
sending routes from another peer which is usually called transit

> 2)  Level3 making any contingency for their own customers to reach Cogent
> networks (any announcements to their own customers)

understand the inability to reach cogent was the desired result for level3, had
a contingency been put in place level3 would have been heading in the opposite
direction to which they are moving (they are moving to force cogent to buy
transit, not moving to pay for their connectivity to cogent nor to keep the
current settlement free arrangement)

> 3)  Possible traffic issues.  Was Cogent guilty of not transporting the
> Level3-bound packets within the Cogent network to the closest point-of-entry
> peer to the host in the Level3 network, therefore "costing" Level3 transit
> of their own packets?  In other words is it also a traffic engineering
> issue?

cogent has not got a transit provider giving them level3 routes (as far as we
understand) and they have not gone and setup any such transit arrangement whilst
waiting for the depeering.

it is not allowed for you to send traffic to another network via a peering. so
eg if you peer with me we will send you only our customer routes, if you
forcibly get cogents routes and route them over us without our permission you
are stealing bandwidth and we will either depeer, sue, or both. to obtain this
'permission' would mean us acting as a transit for you and we'd probably want
some money to do that. (consider i do not exchange money with my peers, if one
peer uses me to reach another peer nobody is paying me for the use of my
network).

> Are some of the business issues solvable by proper engineering and filtering
> (or statistics-jockeying)?

short answer: no, this is a political and business problem not one of
engineering.

longer answer: level3 may be claiming that either cogent has insufficient
traffic, that it has too much outbound or that it isnt in enough geographic
locations. cogent could invest money to comply with level3s peering requirement.
but this ultimately results in cogent spending money either to meet a new
peering requirement or paying level3 direct to maintain a settlement peering.

Steve