Re: Level 3's side of the story

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sat Oct 08 12:14:20 2005

On Oct 8, 2005, at 11:42 AM, John Curran wrote:

Cold potato routing alone is insufficient in many cases, and some form of
settlement becomes necessary.

http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9808/msg00517.html
This does not in any way explain why cold-potato routing is insufficient.

But I seriously doubt a consensus will be found in this forum, or between John & me. :)

Let's just say that there _are_ technical means to make "traffic imbalances" either (close to) fair, or reverse the financial burden. And almost every hoster I know (and certainly some of the ones involved in the original BBN / Exodus / Above.Net / etc. fracas) were perfectly willing to take on more of the cost so the eyeball network actually has a financial incentive to peer.

--
TTFN,
patrick