RE: Level 3's side of the story

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Sat Oct 08 00:50:00 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, David Hubbard wrote:

I don't remember seeing this public notice from Level(3) posted....
Wouldn't that be "without notice from Level(3)"?
They notified Cogent, not the public.  Cogent chose to
I think it's also interesting, that AFAIK, Level3 didn't give their own customers any advance notice. We're a customer. I saw nothing about this until it hit nanog. We're multi homed, so the impact on us was unnoticed.

Suppose you're a single homed L3 or Cogent customer doing regular business with a single homed Cogent or L3 customer. If your provider gave you several weeks notice, and if you realized the coming problem, you might take some steps to work around the issue, depending on how important your internet communications are. Do the typical peering NDAs forbid giving customers this sort of notice? Is it better to surprise them with a multi-day outage and then give them 30 days notice that it's going to happen again??

Splendid, that gives the world sufficient time to accept
Cogent's offer of 1 year free service.
This is not the first time Cogent has used their customers
as pawns in peering disputes, I don't know if I'd jump on
the bandwagon so quickly (spoken as a customer of both
companies).
If you're multihomed and using Cogent as a cheap bandwidth whore, does it matter if their cheap bandwidth gives you 155k routes instead of 168k routes? After all, if its cheap and off-loads enough traffic from your more expensive 168k route circuits, isn't it doing what you bought it for?

Also, is 30 days really enough time for anyone to get a free connection to Cogent? I mean if you're in a building they're already in, and its just a cross connect, sure that can be done quickly...but at least around here, getting any sort of high bandwidth circuit (>T1) can take months. IIRC, the UNE DS3 connecting our office to the rest of our network was several months late.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________