RE: Cogent move without renumbering

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Fri Oct 07 16:50:36 2005

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
>
> >> Is it reasonable to think that numerous /24's from L3's IP
> >> space could be
> >> reassigned elsewhere without causing significant trouble for
> >> L3 and others? Even
> >> if it could work, what would be the justification for taking
> >> L3's property?
> >
> > Depending upon the circumstance, yes:
> >
> > http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/current/msg01880.html
>
> I think that is not entirely correct comparison. Original
> poster did not
> not say that the current L3 customers would entirely leave
> L3, but that
> he asked if they could do something to get other type of
> connectivity if
> they have L3 ip space.
>
> The answer is that if they have /24 or longer and have router
> then they
> can turn on BGP and announce that /24 both to L3 and to
> another ISP and
> in this way have full connectivity. This would not be an
> attempt to take
> ip ip space away from L3. But this is not something they
> could do within
> couple days if they do not run BGP and do not have ASN (takes
> at least a
> week to get it from ARIN).

For a minute there, I thought you might be right since I'm browsing
for clue factor and may have missed something, but, it appears you
are inaccurate in this as the poster did say:

--QUOTE

"If a single-homed network moves from L3 to Cogent, how would they benefit? Would
they not still be cut off from a significant percentage of the Internet?

Is it reasonable to think that numerous /24's from L3's IP space could be
reassigned elsewhere without causing significant trouble for L3 and others? Even
if it could work, what would be the justification for taking L3's property?"

--END QUOTE

That quote is asking if someone can take Level(3)'s PA space assigned with them
to another providers network. The answer is yes, it's possible.

IANAL