Re: Cogent move without renumbering (was: Cogent/Level 3 depeering)

  • From: Henry Yen
  • Date: Fri Oct 07 16:27:07 2005

> >> * [email protected] (Deepak Jain) [Fri 07 Oct 2005, 02:29 CEST]:

For educational purposes, could someone elaborate on how this would work?

If you're a Level3 customer with Level3 PA space (assumed, since you're
already assumed to be single-homed, and therefore very unlikely to
need PI or BGP) and move to a Cogent circuit with Cogent PA space,
then you'd be able to once again reach Cogent's view of the 'net,
but then lose Level3's view of the 'net.

If, on the other hand, you move to a Cogent circuit, but keep your
Level3 PA space, wouldn't that at least require Cogent to announce
all of these "recircuited" customers' Level3 blocks?  This could
stop working if Level3 filters those announcements, again resulting
in non-reachability for existing Level3 downstreams?

Or, on the other hand, is Cogent's offer not exclusive of maintaining
the customer's existing Level3 circuit as well, in which case the
customer will probably incur more pain with juggling two circuits
while not speaking BGP in the first place?

Or, is there another hand?  Thanks.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York